Record



My childhood years were recorded on tape.   When I was teeny-weeny, my dad recorded my voice on what was then a technological wonder, a shoebox-sized cassette recorder.

As I grew older, I used to record the songs played on the radio.   My friends and I would sit listening intently to the moment the announcer said... "and up next, Rick Springfield with "Jessie's Girl."   I would press RECORD and pray that everything worked correctly.

At Christmas, I would ask for one group's new release on cassette and my best friend would ask for a different one, then we would copy them onto clean, new cassettes.

As an attorney, I now know that was illegal.  

We were recording.

As an adult, I record differently.  My brain and my journals carry my history.  Without these records, I am prone to distortion.

Being a 'feeler' and a 'thinker', sometimes the feeling skews the thinking. And the record becomes messy.

The written word allows me to record both the feeling and the thought and somehow attempt to discern the past and the present.

The record provides a memory, which reveals a life.

_________________

Today's word is RECORD.   I erroneously thought it was FALL, because I am ready to discuss that word.   And yet, I must play along in ORDER.   No matter how far I stray, I still love following the rules.    5 days of writing and my soul feels lighter.  Thank you, @hopewriters.



Comments

Popular Posts