My Global Kitchen


With just a quick glance at you, my Honduran kitchen, I feel grateful.

You are uncomplicated, easy and calm.

You leave your door open.   The laundry hangs outside your window.  The sun unfolds and fills you.

Yes, I have complained about you in uncomfortable moments.  Moments when only one burner was left functioning on my butane stove.  Moments when the rats officially destroyed the spongy insulation in my oven.  Moments when it felt impossible to create something nourishing from nothing here on the far side of the rainforest.

Yet, my dear kitchen, you offer so much more than uncomfortable.   You generously create a place for my children to become independent - cooking eggs, tuna melts, nachos.   You host our family tradition - pizza from scratch.   You quietly observe our prayers, our arguments, our restoration, our love.

You are a miracle maker.  You are a memory maker.

Thank you.

___________________

This month on Taking Route blog, different global kitchens are featured.   It is interesting to see the ins and outs of expat living across the globe.  


Comments

Popular Posts