Follow



Am I following you on Facebook?

Am I following in your path because you are paving the way?

Am I following you in the grocery line?

Am I following your example?

Am I following in your footsteps?

The word follow often implies an agreement with the leader's belief.  Or an interest in at least obtaining interesting information from one being followed.    

Who do you follow?

Who do I follow?

Jesus people talk a lot about following Jesus.   Do we follow Him in His life of poverty?  Do we follow Him in calling out the 'selling-out of the temple'?   Do we follow Him in feeding hungry people despite of their heart status?   Do we follow Him in pouring our lives into teaching others who remain messy?   Do we follow Him in self-awareness of our identity and, simultaneously, self-awareness of our complete inability?

Or do we take the comfortable parts, the easy interpretation and say that 'He really didn't mean follow Him in THAT aspect.'   

I don't know.  All of it remains mystery to me, even after following Him for many years and seeking His Way.   The years pass and I am keenly aware of the parts of His example that are deeply uncomfortable and completely unattainable.   

In a weird way, this brings me relief.   I have but one lifetime; I am one small woman; I am flawed, fragile and fierce in one package.   And I am a follower who gets distracted by the yellow flower on the side of the path and strays.   And then, realizing my Jesus is way ahead of me, I fight to follow close, once again.

________________

Writing prompt of the day is FOLLOW.  My 4th day in a row of writing!  I am trying to keep up the momentum and this practice of putting words in the sphere of connection.  @hopewriters writing challenge is helping me do just that!


Comments

Popular Posts