Reading for Sanity

I am a reader... I was raised by readers and I am desperately trying to raise readers.  

For this reason, my emotional health is gauged by IF and WHAT I'm reading.   Maybe you are a reader, too?

The last month has been emotionally challenging BUT, in the midst of it all, I have kept reading.  This is a good sign for me!

So, what books are on my Kindle?

Under Our Skin by Benjamin Watson    -    Racial healing should be a high priority on every Christian's list.   As part of the 'global' church, made up of brothers and sisters of every color and culture, we should be the FIRST ones to stand up in opposition to anything that looks, smells and feels like racism.      I didn't even know who Benjamin Watson was before I started reading the book. A friend of mine, eagerly desiring to do her part to bring her friends of different races together,  started a book club where openness and honest dialogue between professional women could take place.    Brilliant idea.  Although I cannot participate in person, I am reading and following along with their discussion in a FB group.   My eyes have been opened through what he writes.  Even though I feel a bit helpless as to be able to make a difference in the US, I am much better equipped to encourage my children in their multi-racial life.  

A Passion for the Impossible - the Life of Lilias Trotter by Miriam Rockness    -   Lilias Trotter was a single, female missionary to Algeria in the 1800s and early 1900s.    She was an incredibly deep thinker, a beautiful artist and a courageous woman.     This book certainly won't appeal to everyone, but anyone interested in the role of women will be touched by her fire!

Common Prayer:  A Liturgy for Ordinary Radicals by Shane Claiborne   -    This is a beautiful day-by-day prayer book with songs and monthly action items.     The over-arching theme is peaceful justice for the poor, burdened, beaten and disenfranchised.     While I don't agree with everything here, it pushes me to look deeper at Jesus and His example.

Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton   -  A classic that I missed somewhere along the way.   Aidan was reading this in his sophomore year, so I decided to open it up.    Loved it, struggled with it, enjoyed the vibrant descriptions, wrestled with the country-boy-gone-to-the-city trials and wondered about how such things will impact our students when/if they leave La Mosquitia and head to the city.

The Nightengale by Kristen Hannah - Historical fiction about WWII that dug deeper than many I've read before.   Incredible story of bravery and courage set against a horrific backdrop of war.

What is on your nightstand these days?

Yes, I'm trying to get back into writing and sharing... we'll see how this goes!


Comments

Popular Posts