Sowing and Reaping

The Bible is full of universal principles;  those things that apply across the board, for all time, in all places, to all people.    I love the steadiness and dependability of Biblical principles.    Perhaps, you do, too.

So often, this blog simply becomes a place where I share what God is teaching me in a particular season.  Sometimes I ask questions - the ones I am asking myself or have asked in the past.  Sometimes, I believe there is an answer, but I don't state it because to do so might hinder a reader's own walk.  Sometimes, my discussion may lead you to believe I think one way when I may actually think the opposite.   Sometimes, the questions I ask fall under the category of 'God's mystery.'   And the older I get, the more the answer equals mystery.

Still, I love the universal.

In the midst of a few upheavals at one of the homes we work with, I've sought universal Biblical principles to share with the girls.   I cannot present US cultural norms ... those norms are not universal, but cultural preferences.    It has to be rock-solid.    Today, I was able to share one of those principles with some sweet young ladies who are trying to find their way ... the principle of 'Sowing and Reaping.'

"Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap. 8 For the one who sows to his own flesh shall from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit shall from the Spirit reap eternal life. 9 And let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we shall reap if we do not grow weary"  Galatians 6:7-9

I see this principle at work in my life so often... I'm sowing love into my kids and reaping love in return.  In a moment of frustration, I sow anger or impatience and receive the same.   This is the short-term harvest of my actions.   Prayerfully, I hope the long-term harvest is less moody and more consistent!

Sometimes, I'm sowing seeds that may never produce a harvest in my lifetime.   Sometimes, I'm sowing seeds that may have a hard time emerging from the ground, but then may experience a huge growth spurt.   

Sometimes, I am able to participate in a harvest that I have not sown... but someone else did sow.

When I shared this principle with the girls today, I had them give me example after example of how this might actually play out in their lives.

Here are some of their answers:     If you sow seeds of friendship, love and kindness, eventually, you will reap a harvest of friendship.   If you sow seeds of discord, you will reap strife.    If you sow seeds of commitment and dedication to the things of God, you will reap spiritual growth.     If you sow seeds of promiscuity,  the consequences are disappointment, possible disease and potential teenage pregnancy.    If you sow seeds of diligence and hard work in your studies, you will enjoy a harvest of good grades and academic success.

Whew.   This is not an easy truth to speak into someone else's life.   And yet, after the events we have witnessed of late, it had to be said.

Continually, I find myself grabbing a handful of seeds from my backpack and scattering them across the soil... figuratively speaking.

Boy, I hope I get to see this harvest!



Comments

Popular Posts