God Speaks in Miskito

I wasn't expecting much from the service... a young, new Miskito Pastor preaching for 2 and a half hours in Miskito.   Despite the doubts, I picked up my bilingual Bible and decided that it would be 'good for me.'  And, so I went.    Oh, but that's right, my bilingual is English/Spanish... not Miskito.

First verse out of the bag - Ecclesiastes 8:8   "No man has the authority to restrain the wind with the wind, or authority over the day of death; ..."    With my recent thinking on safety in Honduras, this was a timely reminder.   Hmmmm, perhaps I was meant to be sitting on this breezy patio on this simple wood bench on the 22nd of January in 2012?

The Pastor went on to explain in Miskito (and thankfully, a bit of Spanish) that we just do not know what today or tomorrow will hold.   He spoke of the possibility that today could be our last, so live it to the fullest in the name of Jesus.   He talked about the hope that we have in Christ.    And he finished with this verse, "The last enemy that will be abolished is death."   1 Corinthians 15:26.

Simple, isn't it?    Do I underestimate my God so much that I have the nerve to say He cannot speak out of the mouth of a young Pastor in another language far from my own?   Do I criticize the 'lack of sophisticated theology' to the point that I am the one who misses the beauty and simplicity of the Gospel message?   May my answer today be a resounding 'NO!'

Christ abolished the fear of death with His death and resurrection on my behalf.   All I have to do today is walk forward in His joy and accomplish the work He has for me.   Death was my enemy and now, Christ has abolished the hold that this enemy had over me.

One day, I will walk into the presence of my God.    Oh, what a day it will be.

Until then, the fear of tomorrow or the fear of 'how my story will end' will not bind me up and make me powerless.   I have a living Savior...  I have a God on my side...  I know the One who has abolished death and I'm following Him.

I have a God who speaks Miskito and preaches to a gringa in a voice gentler than the breeze.   A timeless Voice that transcends skin color, geography and language.

Comments

The Herd said…
I know it must be super hard when your lives could be in danger...but I'm with you on the Eccl. verse! God knows you, where you are, and where you need to be. Thank you for being faithful even when it's tough. When God calls you, He knows it all.
Praying for you all.
Karen

Popular Posts