Age

Do you look at people older than you as full of wisdom and experience?  Or do you treat people older with a subtle disinterestedness?

Having friends of all ages is a great thing.  I have one really close friend who is 15 years old than me.   It is a comfortable friendship, like old shoes.   I have several friends who are 10-15 years younger than me that truly treat me as a peer.     

So, where is the imaginary line that says 'we cannot be friends' - is it 20 years difference, 25 years?  Does the discomfort start with those who are young enough to be my children?

I cannot figure it out.  Why do some younger people want to have relationships with older women and others see it as crossing some invisible barrier that you aren't supposed to cross. 

Whatever the reason, I don't like it.   We have so much to learn from one another.   Learning from one another does not mean we have to agree on all things, including religion and politics.   But, it does mean that we have a healthy respect for one another and the experiences we've had.   

Examining myself and my older acquaintances to see who I need to get to know better :).

Comments

Popular Posts