Snapshots and Snippets ...

For those of you who get a real kick out of words, the book "Eats, Shoots &

Leaves" will get you going! I bought it for 'grammar' and, low and behold, Budding Author and I laughed 'til our tummies hurt. The focus of this one is 'Why Commas Really Do Make a Difference.' I happen to be a person who loves commas and overuses them, on occasion. Here is an excerpt ...

In case you cannot read the caption, it says 'Eat here, and get gas."

Next page, "Eat here and get gas." This may be considered twaddle to some who read this. Yes, I excise lots of twaddle from our lives; however, this one is just too funny and makes the point so perfectly. Hope you enjoy, too.



Above ... I was working today with Little Mommy on the short 'u' sound. My directions were to draw a picture that has the short 'u' sound ('uh') in it ... I drew her a 'sun' as an example. She begins to draw a weird looking woman. I think to myself, 'Oh, she has no idea what I'm asking her to do ... she's going to write Mom or girl or something.' And then she writes an 'n' and then a 'u' and then another 'n' ... 'nun.' I could not stop laughing. I told you the girl loves Sound of Music.



Monday we tried a modified 'Presidential project.' I was the scribe. Budding Author called out names of each President in order and their birth state. I wrote a tally for each one with the last name above it. Little Mommy took our quarter map and tried to find the actual states. Virginia was very easy to find. Pennsylvania was OK. New Jersey was down right impossible for her to locate. Then again, I hadn't really even expected her to much participate ...

Next, Budding Author took a paper map of the US and colored the states that had Presidential birthplaces. He totaled the numbers up ... guess which state won? Virginia, with Ohio as a close second. What a way to do geography, history and math all in one project!!!

Comments

twinbobo said…
Laura,
I also love Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. (I'd underline that title, but I don't know how to do that while leaving a comment.) My friend bought me the "adult" edition of this book, following a school year of editing her school newsletters. You're more-than-welcome to borrow it. She couldn't resist buying the book for me since she used to gripe at me all the time because I was inserting commas all over her rough drafts!!! I'm going to have to get the edition you were sharing with your kiddos. I didn't even know there was one for school-aged children. My seventh and eighth graders would get a kick out of it.

Popular Posts