6,608 Days Together



This morning we celebrated 6,608 days together.

I wept a bit.  Honestly, I sobbed.

I thanked God from the depth of me. 

I laughed at your antics and your crazy.

I remembered you standing at the IVA gate every morning, free hugs and a fist pump for every, single student.

I sent out a few texts to friends asking for prayer.  Truthfully, I begged.

I cackled at your hack of my autocorrect so that every time I typed 'I', it corrected to 'Ozzy' and 'you' to 'dolphin butts'

I watched a video about what you will face the next 3 weeks in Indoc and I knew my little Greek Olympian would cross the finish line.



I relived the moment your Dad told me, 'It's a Boy!' and my heart sent pieces of itself to live in another person.

                       
     

I touched the beautiful memory box full of letters from your Miskito friends.  The ones who could write... and the ones who simply couldn't...



I counted the times you have shared your story... assuring the doubters that your teenage life really was a rich one, that you really had not missed out on all that much.

I heard your prayer of love and gratitude on the dedication day of IVA in 2013, when we were still close to the same height.


I imagined myself in the upstairs game room in Van Alstyne where we learned Latin together and explored the idea of what homeschooling might look like.

I once again printed your12-page transcript, proving to the world that you were 'educated' and marveled at how many books you have read while on the other side of a Honduran rainforest.

I held tight to my memories of your cement mixing, painting, hauling water, building a school... your arms trembling under the weight of the wet cement in your shovel, your smile and cheers calling out to your Miskito brothers to keep on, your heart beating with love for a people who helped make you a man.



I gave thanks for our trip to Annapolis... never knowing back then that it would change your trajectory.



I tasted the sweet victory that came as you received notice that your dream was coming true... Naval Academy.




I listened to the Spotify playlist you created for the Family to remember you as we look to a new normal.




I loved you, just like every other morning.

I prayed for you... and for me... and for the little people here who think you are their very own superhero.

I smiled at the past, grieved for the present and looked with anticipation at the future, your future.

Godspeed, my firstborn. 




Comments

Popular Posts