Risks

"Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back.  Treat others the same way you want them to treat you.  If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you?  For even sinners do the same.  If you do good for those who do good to you, what credit is that to you?  For even sinners do the same.  If you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you?  Even sinners lend to sinners in order to receive back the same amount.  But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for He Himself is kind to ungrateful and evil men."   Luke 6: 30-35

What is it about November?

Last November, I spent some time helping 3 girls get ready for the chance of a lifetime... a paid middle and high school education at a Christian boarding school.   All 3 decided to return to their villages because of behavior challenges.   I wrote about that in a post entitled 'Storms' because of the symbolism of the day.  You see,  I took them to the dock on a day that was full of dark, ominous clouds.

What do I entitle today in comparison?

Weather-wise, it was an absolutely beautiful day.    In my heart, though, I felt a storm brewing.

I've written more than once about Di.      She came to our house one January day with her Pastor.  At that point, she was a stranger to me.   She sat in my plastic chair crying because there was no one to help her with her education.   She is essentially an orphan with only a very poor grandmother in a tiny village to care for her.   We made a decision right then and there to set some boundaries for her and give her a year to prove that she was serious about pursing further education.

This year has been a fun one for me in regard to Di.   She's worked so hard, jumped through every hoop, surmounted some tough situations and become a part of us.    She has called me mom at times and I've certainly felt in moments like she was a daughter.

I've watched her grow in her faith.   She has reached out to others and shared her relationship with Christ.    She has had many a prayer prayed over her.    She is deeply loved.

These last 3 weeks, I've sort of known something was up.  She kept telling me she didn't want to go to the boarding school anymore, but wanted me to find her a Secretarial program in San Pedro Sula.   I did.   Yet, something did not sit right about sending a young girl from La Moskitia to that dangerous city without supervision.

Di has been living with one of our mutual friends for the last 2 months.    My friend has kept an eye on her and has felt that, perhaps, there was a boyfriend drawing her attention away from her studies.

Today, it was confirmed.  She does not want to go to the boarding school, the only place she wants to go is San Pedro Sula... because there is someone there who has made her all sorts of promises about how grand her life will be with him.

My heart is really sad.   A bit for me.   But, much more for Di.

Yes, I feel a bit like a disappointed parent.  But I feel worse for her.  This was her chance, her time to shine, her opportunity.   And she is going to give it all up for the 'hope' of a real relationship with someone who doesn't even really know her.

Please pray for her.   Tomorrow we meet with her grandmother, who is from a far away village, and try to explain the importance of this decision on Di's life. 

I really have absolutely no control here.   It is her life and her decision.  

Was our time spent building into Di's life a waste?   I do not believe so.   Love is never a waste.

I believe that the outcome is not ours to decide.   The future is not readily available for any of us to see.  

Would I risk it again?

You bet.

Comments

Popular Posts