In Reverse

Normally, we stand on the dirt runway, waving our friends adios;  waiting until the last dot of the airplane can be seen above the horizon.   Normally, we hop on our 4-wheeler and head home, moving forward.     Saturday it was my turn to stand on the dirt runway, say my good-byes and get on a plane to leave.   Not at all what I had expected.

We were so honored to be met by so many people we love in Puerto Lempira.  Person after person came to bid the gringos farewell and offer a last letter to a sponsor or a last word of encouragement.  Not at all what I expected.

As I stood, with my little family, while our passports were examined under a magnifying glass, I realized just how much our kids have matured these last 8 months.   I had forgotten that time marches on, even in La Moskitia.

We were last to board the plane and instead of the expected 6 random seats, the other passengers had left us 3 seats of  in a row.  Not at all what I expected.

As the plane fired up and began to move, tears streamed down all of our faces...  confusing.  We have been planning this trip and looking forward for so long that we did not anticipate how hard it would be to leave, even for a short time.   Not at all what I expected.

I cranked up my ipod and this time the tunes I played were all Hillsong worship in Spanish.   I've come to love this second language that I barely speak.   It is beautiful and flowing and easy to categorize tenses and other grammatical aspects in my mind.   Not what I expected.

And we arrived in La Ceiba and on to San Pedro Sula feeling like we were 'not in La Moskitia any more.'   We were like country kids in town...  everything looks different - so colorful, so busy, and even Americanized.   The air conditioning is not welcome, but the warm showers are!

Perhaps this is what reverse culture shock is... and we aren't even in the US yet.   I find myself nervous about our trip to the US...   nervous about putting words together to somehow convey the reality of La Moskitia, a bit anxious that I'm on the fringe of normal yet still wanting to fit in.   It all perplexes me. 

Today is here and we have lots to accomplish at Immigration.  Tomorrow will come and the tomorrow after that.  In the US we will be and ready to hug the necks of those we love.   Good-byes, hellos.... good-byes, hellos.


Comments

Lara said…
I don't do goodbyes well, and I'm sure that goodbye was a very difficult one for your family. I am praying God gives you peace as you resettle in the US. I know it will be hard, but I pray He is your comforter.
Denise said…
I have been wondering if your old "familiar" is going to look like ridiculous excess through your new Honduran eyes. It is interesting to see that you are already experiencing touches of it when you haven't even landed on Texas soil yet. :)
Holly (me.) said…
Leaving in February was so hard. I cannot really imagine how much more difficult it must have been for you to make those farewells even with the expectation of being back in a matter of weeks!

Still... I am greedy for the latest installments of our unfinished conversations! I've been eyeing the vanilla scones and missing you.

Popular Posts